Skip to main content

New best story on Hacker News: Ask HN: What tech job would let me get away with the least real work possible?

Ask HN: What tech job would let me get away with the least real work possible?
657 by lmueongoqx | 349 comments on Hacker News.
Hey HN, I'll probably get a lot of flak for this. Sorry. I'm an average developer looking for ways to work as little as humanely possible. The pandemic made me realize that I do not care about working anymore. The software I build is useless. Time flies real fast and I have to focus on my passions (which are not monetizable). Unfortunately, I require shelter, calories and hobby materials. Thus the need for some kind of job. Which leads me to ask my fellow tech workers, what kind of job (if any) do you think would fit the following requirements : - No / very little involvement in the product itself (I do not care.) - Fully remote (You can't do much when stuck in the office. Ideally being done in 2 hours in the morning then chilling would be perfect.) - Low expectactions / vague job description. - Salary can be on the lower side. - No career advancement possibilities required. Only tech, I do not want to manage people. - Can be about helping other developers, setting up infrastructure/deploy or pure data management since this is fun. I think the only possible jobs would be some kind of backend-only dev or devops/sysadmin work. But I'm not sure these exist anymore, it seems like you always end up having to think about the product itself. Web dev jobs always required some involvement in the frontend. Thanks for any advice (or hate, which I can't really blame you for).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New best story on Hacker News: Ask HN: I’m an FCC Commissioner proposing regulation of IoT security updates

Ask HN: I’m an FCC Commissioner proposing regulation of IoT security updates 449 by SimingtonFCC | 144 comments on Hacker News. Hi everyone, I’m FCC Commissioner Nathan Simington, and I’m here to discuss security updates for IoT devices and how you can make a difference by filing comments with the FCC. As you know, serious vulnerabilities are common in IoT, and it often takes too long for these to be patched on end-user devices—if the manufacturer even bothers to release an update, and if the device was even designed to receive them. Companies may cease supporting a device well before consumers have stopped using it. The support period is often not communicated at the time of sale. And sometimes the end of support is not even announced, leaving even informed users unsure whether their devices are still safe. I’ve advocated for the FCC to require device manufacturers to support their devices with security updates for a reasonable amount of time [1]. I can't bring such a proposal