Skip to main content

New best story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Feeling guilty for doing the bare minimum at work

Ask HN: Feeling guilty for doing the bare minimum at work
509 by awaythrown1 | 362 comments on Hacker News.
For as long as I've been working professionally, I have been slacking around a lot of the time, reading blog posts, HN, often even reading (tech, biz-related) books and just doing the bare minimum for appearances sake but no one seems to notice. In the office I book a booth to work in to have some peace & quiet and have a couple of code commits prepared to not arouse suspicion. In companies with perf reviews I get some useful feedback here and there but most of the time it's positive, people love to work with me, I do get stuff done if I have to, but as soon as I can get away with doing close to nothing, I'll take the chance. I don't think I'm blocking other teams and I don't think I'm preventing my own team from having accomplishments and often people refer to me as being either partially or mostly responsible for shipping something because I manage to have a clear mind and focus when things get close to a deadline. If I am motivated and the task/project/product is fun I throw myself into it but that isn't sustainable. I've read a few of these posts from people at FAANG doing almost the same so I don't really feel bad about it. I'm just wondering how wide-spread this is. One of my theories for this behavior is that this is related to 40+ hour work weeks. I think I'd be able to get my devopsy work done in ~3 hours/day if I manage my time well and schedule most meetings on Mondays.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New best story on Hacker News: Ask HN: I’m an FCC Commissioner proposing regulation of IoT security updates

Ask HN: I’m an FCC Commissioner proposing regulation of IoT security updates 449 by SimingtonFCC | 144 comments on Hacker News. Hi everyone, I’m FCC Commissioner Nathan Simington, and I’m here to discuss security updates for IoT devices and how you can make a difference by filing comments with the FCC. As you know, serious vulnerabilities are common in IoT, and it often takes too long for these to be patched on end-user devices—if the manufacturer even bothers to release an update, and if the device was even designed to receive them. Companies may cease supporting a device well before consumers have stopped using it. The support period is often not communicated at the time of sale. And sometimes the end of support is not even announced, leaving even informed users unsure whether their devices are still safe. I’ve advocated for the FCC to require device manufacturers to support their devices with security updates for a reasonable amount of time [1]. I can't bring such a proposal